rebel450

Default big boat, little hatch, mexican

I race on a 42 ft. Beneteau with a big asymmetrical chute. We always
douse the thing behind the genoa and down the companionway hatch (the
"fid" takedown). The reason for going down the companionway is that
the forward hatch is really too small to stuff the sail down it (bad
boat design - Beneteau, bad). Skipper won't install a bigger hatch.

I would like to see if we can manage a windward takedown and/or a
mexican takedown (windward jibe takedown), but we're afraid of ripping
the chute on the rigging.

So the question: Can you douse through the companionway on a windward
or mexican takedown on a big boat? If so, do you take the sail
windward or leeward of the mast, and inside or outside of the shrouds?
What sort of problems and foul-ups to watch out for?

Thanks.
Eric P.