John Smith

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
John,

The extra length might be there to allow the foot tackle (outhaul) room
to work and a place to put a topping lift.

The six inches is beyond the foot tackle. What is a topping lift; to hold
the boom up when the sail is dropped? Don't have one, or have much need for
it.

Is that 6" (no gender jokes please) causing you some difficulty?

No, I don't suppose it weighs more than a few ounces, but if it serves no
purpose... I used to backpack and still cut the labels off of everything.

I can't imaging a builder giving away 6' of anything.

Probably not.