Brian D

I'm curious ...I gave away my last bit of 404/414 so don't have a label to
read, but who's description was misleading? Interlux's? Or was the
description ambiguous instead? You know ...poorly written and could apply
equally well to more than one (conflicting) type of use? Have you called
the rep and told him about your experiences? Might save some newbies
headaches later on if the labels were clearer... Most companies won't want
you to be unhappy because a product was used for the wrong type of
application.

Brian

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Thank you all for your comments.

For the record, I ended up thinning it about 20% with alcohol. This worked
well as far as thinning is concerned, but the alcohol apparently
evaporates too fast. It is impossible for the brush strokes to flow out
well. So -- more sanding. The good news is that it finds, and with
persistence, fills -- or at least coats -- about every pin hole in the
resin base. It dries quickly and appears to sand well. I am actually using
it as a primer under Interprotect 2000 BTW.

This is the second time I have purchased Interlux products which have been
described as applicable to things I later found out they were not truly
suitable for.

BS

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Just for the record, Jim, the can is labeled Epoxy Barrier-Kote. And the
catalog describes is as suitable for above or below water applications.
The directions also state that it must be thinned.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BS

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
Interlux 404/414 is not a barrier coat. It's a sandable primer whose
function is to provide a tie coat between sime substrate and an
impervious
finish coat such as an LPU paint. If applied as directed, it's just
loaded
with expensive solvents and is consequently pretty porous. Useless
under
bottom paint. If you are using it as a primer under finish paint and
not
under bottom paint, go for it. I'd try acetone. Let us know your
result.

"Robert or Karen Swarts" wrote in message
Can I successfully use acetone to thin epoxy barrier coats? I am
thinking
of
Interlux 404/414 in particular, but the question is also a general one.

I am aware that there are proprietary products for this application,
but I
need to paint tomorrow morning, and the nearest dealer is about 60
miles
away.

Bob Swarts