Access Systems

In misc.transport.rail.americas Joe Pylka wrote:
I am thinking of the following ideas:
3. Is the Potomac north of Harpers Ferry a good bet? This would
allow sight seeing in Harpers Ferry.

There is much quiet water and good paddling above Harpers Ferry but be
aware that the last coupla miles (the Needles section) is lightweight class
2 but generally runnable. However, a definite rebar hazard from a broken
dam at its beginning is something to be avoided. You can take out before it

have to agree, and that busted dam can sneak up on you even when you know
it is there.

at Dargan Bend on the MD. There are also primitive campsites here and there
along the C&O canal which parallels the river.

they are Hiker/biker overnights about ever 3-5 miles. get the guide book
from the Boy Scouts or the C & O Canal trail NPS site, and I think the
Appalacin trail council office in Harpers ferry may have the book.

I know that canoeing FROM
Harpers Ferry as far south as Monocacy is an excellent trip,

also the Monocacy from old route 40 to the mouth is a nice day trip just
check the gage as water level on the monocacy can fluctuate from day to
day, but unless the water is high it is very much a level I river and a
nice 4-5 hour day trip nice put in's at both ends.

lead a church canoe trip there year before last and that is a real
beginner trip. but it is pretty and there is some rail activity

since I did it in the scouts once. Although I think that is
almost an overnight trip for a family outing... How rough is
the Potomac above Harpers? Perhaps we could put in around
the Shepherdstown area and head south to Harpers Ferry?

Shepherdstown to Harpers Ferry would be a long day. also there is a dam
or two in there. been a long time since I did that stretch.

You would have to put in either at Dargan Bend as above, or else above
Harpers Ferry on the Shenandoah. In either case you will have whitewater --
and in the stretch below the Potomac you have a couple of not-for-beginners
rapids. You can, however, put in at the Potoma Wayside at the lower 360
bridge and get a nice run down to Brunswick for a shorter daytrip or further
on down to Point of Rocks.

Bob

--
CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety", Benjamin Franklin
ASCII Ribbon Campaign accessBob
NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail
NO MSWord docs in e-mail Access Systems, engineers
NO attachments in e-mail, *LINUX powered* access is a civil right
privileged. They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named