Doug Dotson

The water pump on my system draws less than 1/2 amp. Using a water-cooled
system saves enough energy to more than offset the overhead of the pump.

Doug

"Jeff" wrote in message
It may be true that water cooled is usually more efficient, but for a
minimal system based on a BD35, the added efficiency may not be worth the
power use of a water pump. This is a small issue with a large holding
plate system because it only runs one or two hours a day, but the small
evaporator based system may run 8 hours a day, and the water pump would
then add a lot of overhead. And, it adds a through-hull, strainer and
plumbing, and can get clogged with silt. This may be worthwhile Downeast,
where the water is 52 degrees, but might not be in the tropics.

Doug Dotson wrote:
A water-cooled unit is always more efficient than an air-cooled unit.
Unless
somehow the air temp gets cool for a long period while the water temp
stays
high. Not very common. This is why all the larger units are water-cooled.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jeff" wrote in message

A lot depends on the size of your fridge and how you use it. If you can
go into a bit of detail, such as the size of the box(es), freezer
requirements, and the nature of your cruising, you might get better
advice. For example, if you cruise in cold water, a water cooled system
would be more efficient. But if you power each day (or run a genset for
A/C) then the power issues might not be important to you.

I have larger Crosby (actually part of A/B) holding plate system for a
separate fridge and freezer system that I've had a love/hate relationship
with. When I pull a steak out of the freezer that's frozen down to zero
degrees, I'm happy. But when I don't need the freezer, its a real
annoyance to use 70 to 100 Amp-hours a day on the system. And of course,
one small leak and the whole system is down. (This happened twice in 7
seasons, and both times was detected in home port, not while traveling.)

If I were building my system now, I might consider having two systems
based on the new Danfoss compressors. While perhaps not the most
efficient in total, having two systems for the two boxes would give more
flexibility in case one is lost.

Danfoss is the "hermetic" sealed compressor your A/B is based on, and is
used in most of the smaller systems today. Of course, the units have
changed in the last 20 years, and each company has some "special
technology" that makes theirs the best. You might look over
www.rparts.com to get a free education about the components in use today.
They carry the latest Danfoss units and this will give you a baseline to
see if you're getting your money's worth from whichever system you decide
on.

Dick Behan wrote:

The 20-year-old Adler/Barbour unit on our Victory Tug has expired. Can't
complain about the service, but what do you cruisers out there think
about replacing it? Go with Adler/Barbour again, or is there a more
up-to-date technology (and product) you'd recommend as superior?
TIA.

Dick Behan
M/V ANNIE