JDavis1277

Default Block Heaters for Large Detroit Diesels

Wayne,

Very nice boat.

As to the high hours engines... IMO one of the best things about the 71 Series
engines is the ease with which they can be completely rebuilt in place with
minimum overhead space. Both engines should be overhaulable(???) in a couple
of days given competent mechanics.

It's pretty much a given that the cranks will be in spec. Rods too, probably,
and a good chance all the pistons as well. However, if you're going to
consider an overhaul it's way too easy to simply change out the liners and
pistons. I've no idea of the cost thses days but the OE parts are very high
quality. While at it I'd pull the unit injectors and have them tested and
rebuilt, if indicated, too. They may just need tip kits. The heads shouldn't
need any work other than decarboning and inspection. Worst case perhaps a
valve job.

If the engines have been well looked after they'd probably go for several
hundred more hours without any excitement. If it was me and a test run
indicated nothing I'd just do tip kits and keep on huffing. Remember, any
mechanic is going to be inclined to suggest work even if it is only slighty
indicated. Gotta make a living don'tcha know?

Butch