David Flew

I'm also keen to take enough measurements of my current boat to allow some
modelling, I suspect the engine should be a bit further aft - and moving it
on a whim is not trivial.

This is a 24 ft carvel launch, 1950's vintage. I use my club's fairly
agricultural slipway, so when it's out of the water, it's never going to be
parallel to the slip's rails, it's difficult to get it exactly level from
side to side, and it will be bow up by about 10 degrees. The surface under
the slipway is very amateur concrete, with rails and the trolley obstructing
things even further. About the only good news is that the waterline is easy
to establish, and that on one side there is an open space. I could pay to
use a commercial slipway, but the boat would still be bow up, and the
underlying surface curved.

I'm wondering if the best option is to mark the waterline, pay a surveyor
with a "total station" to do lots of measurements from one side, and take it
from there. I have no idea of the accuracy one might achieve. Or of how
difficult it would be to import the results into an appropriate boat
related package .....

I suspect that a decent survey package could manipulate the results to level
it in both axes, and give an output in co-ordinates and dxf format.

anyone tried something like this?

David Flew
"Reynaud" wrote in message
I would like to build an replica of an old Chestnut canoe. I have the
full size boat to refer to but am not sure how to take off proper
measurements . Could someone suggest where to find information or clue me
in. Help would be much appreciated.

Rey