GK User

On 8/8/05 2:29 PM, in article , "Larry"
wrote:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/07/20/100/?nc=1

Good news for boaters! FCC proposes to drop ALL Morse code requirements on
ALL licenses! THE TIME OF YOUR HAM LICENSE HAS ARRIVED!

The public comment window is open! Tell the FCC to get rid of the code!

Now, they should replace the code test with a TYPING test so you can carry
on a decent conversation with those dunderheads that can't type 5wpm on
packet, pactor, PSK31, RTTY, etc........No typing endorsement, no data
modes!

As an Extra Class, I also propose to drop the stupid ARRL band segregation
on "class" and "modes". How stupid....

73 DE W4CSC

Maybe it is time to say Morse Code has outlived it's usefulness. I have
heard that the RadioTelegraph license requirement has been dropped for
shipboard radio operators. Could just be it's not needed but I still think
there is a place for it. Just as most of the theory you need to know today
isn't really used anymore due to the advanced electronics. It's a way
though to "earn" your rights to operate and yes provide an educated or
somewhat educated pool of radio operators. All that aside I think there
still is a place for morse code and to eliminate it all together, I feel,
would not be in the best interest of the art of radio operators. As far as
the number of operators that use it today, I doubt there are but a handfull.
I do think that elimination of the code, except up to the highest levels of
Licensed operators would be rational but still I disagree with total
elimination of the code requirement. Just my opinion though.

Gary - KW4Z

PS With the advent of the internet and new technologies, that require more
bandwidth, I feel anything we can do to increase the ranks of Amateur Radio
operators is a good thing and if that means sacrificing the code to save the
hobby then I'm all for that. What we must not give up is education into the
rules and operating procedures as well as basic theory and operation. We
still need "educated" professional operators.