Skip Gundlach

Hi, Steve, and group,

"Steve" wrote in message
Skip,
I was wondering why you were replacing your Lewmar 1000.

I replaced it because I had to saw it out. With us about to go out for
life, and it totally corroded, though working successfully the last dozen
times we used it, we wanted to take it out for servicing.

However, it was totally frozen, and attempts to unfreeze it broke it (see my
last couple of photo galleries for examples of what we faced - the ones for
July).

So, we finally sawed it out, and are in the process of deck repair (very
minor, cosmetic stuff) and undergirding replacement (more rot as found in
numerous places aboard).

Steve, if you need some parts, the only destruction done was the gearbox and
support aluminum, as well as having to saw the shaft in half. The motor
seems fine, we have two (3/8 and 5/16) gypsies and one full set of clutch
media in addition to everything else you see in some of the other pix. I
know clutches are problematic, though one could probably size-match them for
something which would work, as there are no parts for this windlass
available NIS; the other stuff you'd have to use an awful lot to wear out,
I'd think. As I never dropped the anchor, but motored it down, and from the
looks of it, likewise the prior owner, the clutches look new (one is, in
fact, new, being in the spare gypsy box, the other small one having broken
when I was separating them)...

How's your project coming??

L8R

Skip, rehabbing (well, waiting to rehab) as fast as I can in order to get
back to refitting

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain