HotRod

Don't argue with this but your not going to get access to a WIFI hotspot at
Star Bucks.... If the idea is to cruise the coast an get signals, "GOOD
LUCK"

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"HotRod" wrote:

As a computer guy I'll tell you to have a look at hawking antenna's BUT I
don't think that what you are trying to do is possible. Normally when you
try and do a long distance with high gain antenna's you need a high gain
antenna at both locations, you also get into using omni or unidirectional
antenna's. Even with line of sight and a unidirectional antenna anything
over a few Kms is getting crazy. SORRY

As a computer guy, you should leave the Radio stuff to guys that know
radios...... Long distance 2.4Ghz connections can certainly be done
with Omnidirectional Antennas. The definition of "Long distance" needs
to be defined. On my wireless network one Access Point has a 12db Omni
Antenna mounted at the 50 Ft level of a 120ft tower, and can be used
out to 3 miles with just a 3db Omni antenna external on the Laptops,
at full 11Mbs thruput. I have remote customers that are using 12db
corner reflector antennas, that have connections out 5-8 miles, with
full 11Mbs thruput. Our Telco T1 Line is a 2.4Ghz Part 15 Device that
runs on a 16 mile path, using 2 Meter dishes on each end, with 10db Pads
in the antenna line to keep the RSL in the AGC Range of the radios.
802.11x Systems can be designed to do lots of things besides just doing
wireless inside a house or building. University of Hawii has a complete
802.11 wireless connection between campus's that spans between islands
that has worked for them for over 3 years.
Going less than a mile or two is easy, but farther just takes a little
engineering. There is a community out on the coast that has a wireless
network with Extender Repeaters, that can be accessed by passing boats,
out 3 miles, and they occasionally get connections from laptops on the
deck of some of the passing Ēruise Ships.

Me an ISP providing service in my corner of alaska......