Mr Wizzard

"roadburner" roadburner^at^comcast^dot^net wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:08:41 -0700, "Mr Wizzard"

wrote:

"roadburner" roadburner^at^comcast^dot^net wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 04:35:26 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle"

wrote:

Need to remove that plug after every trip to drain any water left in

the
bilge. Leave it out if left outside, even if covered, since if you

have a
leak in your cover, or if it collapses, it will be able to drain.

Letting
even a little water sit in the bilge for days at a time will create

big
problems down the road.

Pre-launch, make it a habit to install the plug when you remove the

rear
tiedowns. Remove the plug when you fasten the tiedowns after loading

the
boat onto the trailer.

Good advice. It doesn't hurt to carry a backup screw type rubber

expansion
drain plug that can be put in from the inside of the boat. I still

carry 2
on board.

I was smart enough to buy 2 of the rubber plugs
when I got the boat, and carry them in my boat
box. The original has a teather, but if when I
went in, the plug was gone for some reason,
I'd have to get back in the boat, get the plug,
and dive back in the water - would have costed
me another minute or so.

For those of us that have water inlets, like for the head, tapered
dowel rods should also be carried.

Can you explain this to me? - why would you
need tapered dowel rods ?

Be happy to. If for instance the seacock on the through hole on the bottom
of the boat were to break, I could break away the seacock (mine happens to
be some type of polymer) and pound the tapered dowel rod into the through
hole stopping the water from coming in. Forgot to mention I carry a hammer
and a complete tool set on board. Sometimes I am 15 or 20 miles from the
nearest shore. Too far out to get help quickly so I try to be prepared.

Best wishes to you

So what exactally are you calling a seacock?
The threaded plug, or the threaded female ring
that the plug screws into ? So more on my incident:
I got to reading some stuff on the web, and I
scared myself. Being newly single, I go out on
tje boat a lot by myself, and sometimes on the
big waters. (and at night). So did you know that
a 1-inch hole 5 inched below the water line will
let in 44 galons/min ? ****, a 1-inch hole is nothing.
If you hit a log, or dead head, you'd get a hole
bigger than 1-inch. Scares the **** out of me.
Also did research on why my bilage pump took
so long to clear out the motor compartment.
Not good. The cheesy pump on the Bayliner
is WAY too small according to recomendations.
They say that you need about 2500 Gal/Hour
worth of bilage pump on 17-18 foot boats. And,
they say to do it with multiple pumps to protect
against failure. Every boater should read this! :

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm

Thanks for all of your advose/help.

Regards,
roadburner