Skip Gundlach

Hi, and thanks for the note, left below.

I'd already discounted the cantennas as being very directional, and besides,
not very marine friendly (I don't figure they'd do well in a salt
atmosphere), having looked at that as my short-term solution before going
with the Hawking and the active cable.

I looked at the site, and as it's 48V, didn't pursue it very far. Also see
that it only talks to the same brand, one of the shortcomings identified in
my current setup (but supposedly avoided by choosing the components we did).
I was not able to determine (without some research, which I'll pursue this
week) whether it's already set up, with the addition of two antennas
(presumed incoming and outgoing, else, why two?), for plug and play on their
system (that is, I' have one of their cards in my laptop, and the shore site
is using one of their APs). Regardless, that particular one won't work, cuz
I have neither that card nor any AP likely, as I'll be surfing someone's
home unit, most likely.

However, thanks again for the link. If I try using the right search words
(what that's defined to be) but can get an omni vs uni station setup, I'll
be in business. I'd have preferred it didn't cost 400, but, in the end,
that's what I have in my non-working setup, now...

L8R

Skip, rehabbing (well, waiting to rehab) as fast as I can so I can get back
to refitting

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

wrote in message
oups.com...
Skip,

Take another look at the product link that I posted. It supposedly has
two transmitters and a "Bridge Repeater" mode which may do what you
want. PoE cable length should not be a problem because all of the
commercially available products that I've seen sense voltage drop
automatically and compensate accordingly.

Ignore the Pringle can antenna recommendations. As you probably know
directional antennas are unsatisfactory for anchored boats because of
swinging.