Geoff Schultz

"Gerald" wrote in
:

Worthy of note --- not much of
that communications technology did anyone much good around ground zero
on 9-11 of the hurricanes in Florida last year, or ... pick your
disaster. Cell phone service was pretty much crippled on the east
coast (entire country???) on 9-11. Ham radio kept on ticking...

[Lots of clipping from the above post]

So what did morse code have to do with the above? How much of the
communication during the hurricane(s) was code vs voice? I can guess that
it was probably close to 100% voice. I would also point out that cell
service was disrupted in the immediate area around the 911 disaster, but
the rest of the country wasn't effected, other than perhaps overloaded
circuits. Q: How did the reports from the hijacked plane that crashed into
the field come in? A: Cell phones.

-- Geoff