keith

I agree that safety is paramount. The aerosol foam that I was shown at
the chandlers when I asked about buoyancy foam looks very similar
(including ingredients and warnings) to the foam available at the
builders merchant that is why I asked. I'm in the UK and this is for a
7'6" pram dinghy. I don't want to screw it up after all my loving
building work so I thought I'd ask those with more experience in such
things.

Keith

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:37:13 GMT, "Roger Derby"
wrote:

"over time" ??? How much time?

It is a safety issue, but most or us aren't going to spend weeks or months
depending on it.

Sometimes the difference is not in the material but in the documentation and
"approvals."

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message

keith wrote:
Just a quick question. Is polyurethane buoyancy/flotation foam in
aerosols the same as the polyurethane foam sold at builders merchants
for sealing voids and cracks etc? The reason that I ask is that my local
chandlery has aerosol foam that
looks about the same if you read the ingredients etc on the tin, but
the builders is cheaper.

Floatation foam is generally a two-part foam specifically made to be
waterproof. Most foams used in construction will absorb water over time.
Considering that buoyancy is a safety issue, it doesn't make sense to risk
using sub-standard or inappropriate products.