Jere Lull

In article .com,
wrote:

Jere,

I don't understand how using the topping lift can get me more
clearance. I've always assumed that the topping lift should be
completely slack when sailing. Otherwise, wouldn't it adversely effect
the sail shape. Also, it seems that the thin topping line would
eventually break when the mainsheet is pulled down hard enough.

John

In light-air conditions, I will tension the topping lift to introduce
twist. Xan's boom is so heavy that I have to do it fairly regularly.

What I forgot to mention is that most boats' booms are lifted off the
topping lift when properly hoisted. Thus, it may be that the original
poster need not change his sail at all; just support it a bit higher
when the sail's furled.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: