Bill McKee

wrote in message
oups.com...

An email this morning reads:

Chuck

I thought you may be interested in this detailed ocean/global warming
piece we just sent to our members since this topic is really heating
up.

You might think an angelfish in the waters off Massachusetts is one
confused and chilly little tropical critter, unless you know that
scientists have watched ocean temperatures rising since 1975. Check out
the new seven-part web feature on oceans and human-caused climate
change, featuring our own scientists and Doug's son Chris Rader, a
marine biologist in the Florida Keys. The feature gives you a run-down
of solutions and science, including the basics of glaciers, ecosystems
and the ocean's "conveyor belt." What were you doing the year that
corals were bleaching in nearly every ocean during the warmest 12-month
span on record? Piece -
http://www.oceansalive.org/explore.c...contentID=4704.

Now, Chuck, you know darn good and well that there isn't such a thing
as global warming. That's just something those unpatriotic, terrorist
loving, well educated, liberal scientists are using to undermine the
war on terror in Iraq. Now, everybody back in line, and goose step.

I'm blaming my new depthsounder, but I have been getting summer water
temperature readings that are consistently 1 degree higher and in some
cases 2-3 degrees higher than readings in the same areas in previous
years.
It isn't unusual to have one warm year, or one cool year, and the
climate does fluctuate- but we shouldn't be willing to accept any
extreme amount of change we observe as a natural phenomenon. The ozone
"hole" is a good example; since the use of CFC's was generally banned
the hole seems to be repairing itself. (Although some free marketeers
would claim the ozone hole would have stabilized, anyway, and that
removing certain chemical compounds from the environment had nothing to
do with it. You can still find people to insist there's no medical
evidence linking smoking with lung cancer, too)

Changes in the ocean environment certainly impact how we use and enjoy
our boats. Small changes can effect the number of fish, and even the
species of fish, available to catch. A trend of generally warmer water
temps have played hell with out Pacific NW salmon runs for several
years, although we did enjoy a couple of years where the temps dropped
parially back toward the historic norms and we had (relatively)adequate
runs of fish.

Oceans (as well as green plants on shore) are vital to the existence of
life as we know it on this planet. There is always a chance that just
maybe some guy grousing one minute about how salmon fishing ain't what
it used to be and gd'ing "them liberal environmentalists and their
global warming crap" the next isn't seeing the big picture.

The question is not global warming, but the cause. Is it the natural cycles
of earth, or something else? How much is man to blame? 10k years ago was a
mini ice age, what did man do to cause it? 1860 or there abouts 20 miles of
glacier in Glacier Bay meltet. And has not come back. What caused this
warming? Mt. St. Helens spewed more ozone killing chemicals in one eruption
than man put up in 10-20 years. The same "Enviromentalists" were saying
global cooling in 1970. When that grant money dried up, they are now
touting man caused global warming. Maybe it is grant money that causes the
problems. Does not seem to bring solutions. Which part of human life is
causing the decrease in the earth's magnetic field?