Len

In that case it depends on how balanced you're now with a full rig at
say 5 bft. When you've got a bit of weather helm now, you'll probably
improve the balance (and thus the speed) when you take away sail at
the bottom...

If you are happily belanced now I'd choose to modify the top of the
sail, it's less loss of sail-surface. And probably cheaper than
modifying the lenghthy bottom.... Only thing is how does the sailmaker
make sure there'll be a adequate extension of the top part of the
sail, maybe an extra stiffener on the right spot to avoid "flapping
around" of the first yard(s) from the top ?

Regards, Len.

On 9 Aug 2005 16:10:56 -0700, wrote:
But I already moved the front of the boom higher so that the sail now
goes to the top of the mast. I still need six more inches so that I am
a couple of inches above the bimini.