Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:47:14 GMT

On 2005-08-09
said:
the code is part of our heritage

So isn't sailing. Shall we require all power boaters to be licensed
sailors, tested in sail, before we allow them to drive bassboats?
I think not.

True enough which is why I've said there should be access to hf which
is meaningful and usable, not just a few cw sub bands as was the case
with the old novice tech plus. I've been advocating hf access to
phone and digital modes such as then rtty since the 1970's in fact.
THe part of my comment you snipped however states my position
clearly. FOr the extra class license you should be able to at least
know the code, just as you should understand digital logic, a bit
about fast scan video etc. A guy can still get a bunch of enjoyment
out of hf radio with a general class ticket and use it from his vessel
effectively. Example: THe only thing I ever knew about video was
frame rates due to my work in recording studios and using smpte sync.
I'll probably never bother with fast scan or slow scan tv but I had to
answer questions about it for my extra class ticket. There are also
questions on the extra exam about propagation, Smith charts, etc. etc.
Essentially however we're in agreement here. It's about time that FCC
got with the program on this one! Have been saying it was time since
30 years ago. Just would like to see some code knowledge still part of
the knowledge base tested for an extra class license.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email