Doug

"Larry" wrote in message
"jds" wrote in
news:jiTJe.29418$HV1.22431@fed1read07:

well, call me an old fart then. if someone is too damn lazy to learn
code, let em be limited to a technician. i use cw 99% of the time. try
talking to some guy in italy that doesnt speak english any better than
i speak italian, add accent= wtf did he say??? an "a" is .- in any
language. jeez , 5wpm is a real obsticle?? i could copy 10 before i
even attempted my novice test. j.d. kc7mpd

Many people still ride horses, too. But, alas, that is NOT a requirement
before one drives a car. The analogy is the same. You do not have to

know
how to ride a horse before you are allowed to drive a car. You can be
licensed to drive a ship, but are not required to row a boat.

We're all glad you love CW. I'm hoping FCC comes to its senses and
restricts CW to the CW part of the band. The only thing it is used for in
other parts of the band is a jamming device. There is no reason for it to
be used in any other part of the bands.

--
Larry

OK, I will put my oar in on this Larry. I have used cw for emergency
communications traffic after we were hit by the tail end of a typhoon and
all I could get going was a 5 watt CW rig running off a lantern battery. I
passed the traffic on a phone net.on 75 meters. Remember what the FCC uses
to justify ham licenses at all...the word emergency is there. CW should not
be relegated out of the other mode frequencies because in an emergency it
needs authority to be there. Common sense says operate normally in a CW
portion only. I hate code myself, but got my Novice at age 12, Technician 6
months later and General and commercial Radiotelephone 2nd with Ship Radar
at age 13, First Phone at age 17.
I have 48 years as a ham and have to admit CW has very little justification,
but since ham radio is a hobby, the hobbyist who wants to use should have a
segment for CW only and a minimum testing requirement to use it there.
73
Doug K7ABX