Larry

"Doug" wrote in
nk.net:

I have 48 years as a ham and have to admit CW has very little
justification, but since ham radio is a hobby, the hobbyist who wants
to use should have a segment for CW only and a minimum testing
requirement to use it there. 73
Doug K7ABX

And, I think that CW only segment is where this phone band jammer should be
confined to stop the jamming. I think, like 160 meters, you'll soon see
the band segregation cease as soon as the old farts who've kept it
segregated for their Extra Class elitist friends becomes moot. We don't
need band segregation, which makes it really hard on the net operators.
14.100-14.150, for instance, is a total waste of bandwidth for US amateurs
as it's a PHONE BAND, dammit, in the rest of the world. How stupid to keep
US hams segregated from it, just like the low end of 40 meters where the
rest of the world uses it as a PHONE BAND. Wonder what ever happened to
that proposal to open up 50 more KC below 7000 Khz broadcasters no longer
use? The whole HF band may be a ham band quite shortly. Government and
commercial interests want satellite operations, not noisy old Titanic comms
on HF at amazingly slow data rates anyone can intercept. The whole band is
as obsolete as our friends in Newington, CT.

As to the testing, let's stop licensing unqualified hams. There is no ham
radio test any more. I have friends whos wives have no idea how to put
batteries in a flashlight with Extra Class tickets. They just memorized
the test questions and got their Extras. How stupid. HAM RADIO WAS
DESIGNED TO INSURE ELECTRONIC TECHNICIANS AND OPERATORS IN TIME OF NATIONAL
EMERGENCY! It sure isn't going to help the military any more like it did
when they drafted them all in WW2. Let's dump the whole, stupid giveaway
test rote memorization program and make it so only people interested enough
to study electronics can get ham licenses. Ham radio was never just a
hobby! It's a national resource for TECHNICIANS the government can grab in
emergencies....I'd like to see it returned to that mode.

--
Larry