Gerald

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
wrote in news:fITJe.3606$op.62
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

What a bunch of crap from the people who suggest that the code requirement
should be kept. Who ever uses it? Nobody! Listen to the frequencies and
how much code do you hear? Virtually none.

Actually, many times of the day I hear more CW activity going on than voice.
For those who fear that NO-CODE will turn ham radio into a new CB land --- I
think that the reality of no-code licenses for VHF/UHF suggest otherwise.
My observation is that VHF/UHF repeater use in many places I travel is on
the decline. Most traffic seemse to be evening nets, and old friends
chatting on the way to/from work. Other than that, I hear a log of quiet.

There may be some selective hearing going on there. If you don't know /
like CW, you are probably not going to spend a lot of time seeking it out.

snip

Face up to the realities of today's communication. It isn't used and it's
not important.

How many hams build / modify their own radios? I suspect a very small
percentage --- so why require everyone to know all that electronics stuff?
Why not a special class of license that allows one to open their radio's
case --- or build their own radio? Just the old timer trying to keep the new
guys out?

So if CW is out, then certainly one must consider APRS, Packet, EchoLink and
similar VOIP technologies IN. Why not have a programming / networking
license?

Len Hodgett posted in another thread
"I have better things to do with my time than learning to use a totally
dead language.
I'm not interested in ham radio as a hobby, I already have too many.
For me is it strictly a communication tool when I'm on then water.
Nothing more, nothing less"

I think that sums it up for many of the "no-code" crowd --- they don't want
to be a part of the hobby, they want to pick and choose what suits them --
the general self centered dumbing down of America.

On the other hand, I don't think removing the code requirement will
necessarily kill either CW usage (at least in the short run) or ham radio.
The large number of people who enjoy CW will continue to operate / contest
and recruit.

FWIW -- My inability to learn CW kept me out of ham radio for 40 years. It
never occured to me that the licensing requirements should be dumbed down to
accomodate my learning disability. I eventually found a learning method
that worked for me and I finally passed the 5 then 13 WPM test. While CW is
still a struggle for me, it is my primary on-air mode.

-- Geoff