Geoff Schultz

wrote in news:fITJe.3606$op.62
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

I am of the opinion they should keep the 5 wpm code for the etra. The
extra is supposed to be a smattering of knowledge of all things ham
radio, and the code is part of our heritage as well as a viable mode.
Arrl is proposing bandwidth based band plans instead of modes. I'd
still like to see narrow band emission types have segregated places
where those folks can work without wideband signals trouncing them and
vice versa, just as I'd still like to see special segments of vhf and
uhf bands for weak signal enthusiasts to pursue their interests
without being trashed by some cb on fm no code memorized the answers
to pass his multiple guess tech test.

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

What a bunch of crap from the people who suggest that the code requirement
should be kept. Who ever uses it? Nobody! Listen to the frequencies and
how much code do you hear? Virtually none. Actually when I do hear it,
it's generally a one way transmission over the top of voice conversations.
It's an archiac form of communication that no one uses. To have the FCC
finally come to that conclusion emphasizes that point.

It's the old guard who says "Well, if I had to learn it, every one should
learn it!" These are also the people who claim to have walked up-hill to
school (both ways) in 3 feet of snow...every day. That is unless it was
when it was 110 degrees and the locust were out.

Face up to the realities of today's communication. It isn't used and it's
not important.

-- Geoff