OldNick

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:33:17 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"Jack" wrote:

I have posted before regarding building/restoring an antique boat. Just a
curious question to the experienced builders... How would you start your
hobby if you were really interested in learning how to build a nice boat?
I have the $$, space, and woodworking skill. Just curious of your
recommendations. Would you start small, like a rowboat, or just bite the
bullet and build something cool like a runabout? BTW, I am doing this to
challenge my skills. Thanks again for your time.

I would not build in wood.

My first project is a 55 ft Roberts.

I'm not sorry I started it.

But is it _g(F)loating_ yet? G

Seni-serious question. I know a lot of guys who are still happy
building their boats 5 years on. But they often never get a boat.

I know you from rec.woodoworking. I respect your opinion on
trade/craft. It's been a while, but I am pretty sure that your
_political_ opinions are not _too_ apparent from the ww ng, whether I
agree with them or not! G

I also think that it's horses for courses. I feel that you are an
achiever, with a power history of doing stuff. This is not toadying,
but simply an assessment of your ability as I have seen it portrayed.

I think that anyone who takes on a 55' boat as their "first project"
is either mad, or a hero, or has done some serious stuff before. The
OP needs to be more specific about which of these they fit......

Why not wood? At all? Strip composite?

How far are you down the track on your 55'er?