Paul Robson wrote:
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:11:02 +0000, Jack wrote:

I have posted before regarding building/restoring an antique boat. Just a
curious question to the experienced builders... How would you start your
hobby if you were really interested in learning how to build a nice boat? I
have the $$, space, and woodworking skill. Just curious of your
recommendations. Would you start small, like a rowboat, or just bite the
bullet and build something cool like a runabout? BTW, I am doing this to
challenge my skills. Thanks again for your time.

.... having just done this and launched it (and it didn't sink), start off
with something easy in a style that takes your fancy. I built a Michalak
Piragua (14' canoe) but there are many equally easy boats ; have a look at
David Beede's Simplicity Boats (1 + 2 sheet multipurpose boats), or Herb
McLeod's One Sheet Skiff.

I would get plans for the boat that you really , really want to build.

Then I would either build a canoe or rowboat using the same techniqes
and materials used for the bigger boat, or I would spend some money and
build a small section of the boat to get an idea of the problems that a
full size project will have.