Jack Smith

atl_man2,
Did you know Kevin Noble when you both lived in upstate NY or did you meet
when you moved to Atlanta?

wrote in message
ps.com...

Douglas St. Clair wrote:
... I may have just saved my boat. Read on...

Tomorrow afternoon I'm planning to fire my freshly rebuilt engine for the
first time. One of our tasks is to start aligning the transmission with
the
drive shaft (inboard). I noticed on my drive shaft bellow that there
were
two hose clamps securing one end in a rather odd fashion. My curiosity
got
the better of me.

Holy carp!! Holy freakin' carp! I'm guessing in the 35+ years the motor
had been sitting in the boat it's never been routinely aligned (a once a
year maintenance item). Over time the engine had settled to the point
where
the drive shaft had rested against the shaft log. The drive shaft had
effectively "drilled" right through the bottom of the shaft log. We're
talking a 1-inch stretch of missing flange. The only thing between my
boat
and the bottom of the lake? A nearly disintegrated 1/8" thick piece of
rotted rubber bellow.

Anybody know of a good inboard shop near Rochester, NY?

Try he
Bryce Marine 585-352-9485