trainfan1

Thanks for the advise. I got the measurement from the service manual
for a 1973-77 135hp. Extra Long Shaft. I have yet to take anything
apart.

I meant where on your outboard did you take the "shaft" measurment.

The "XL", or 25" shaft, was not available until 1977.

The 135ESL73 model is a 20" shaft model, which refers to the height(or
depth) of the transom for which the engine is designed to work on. This
measurement can be taken by measuring from the stern bracket transom
rest point, down to the cavitation plate, and will be very close to 20",
although the actual driveshaft length from the crank to the pinion gear
is agreeably longer(probably about the 26 13/32 you quoted earlier).

I'm low on money so I thought I could fix it up myself. How much does
it usually cost to have a lower unit gearcase rebuilt?

You have to have a parts list 1st to estimate. It's about 3.5 hours
once the unit is on the bench for dissassemble/reassemble. It really
helps to have the special tools, too.

Rob