raoul

In article , P.C. Ford
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:15:05 GMT, "Jack" wrote:

Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris Craft
Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it. She thinks
that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I could restore a
boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration a
shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.

I have restored antique speedboats for 30 years. Two things.

1. Get an expert, a real expert not just someone that thinks he is a
an expert, to examine the boat carefully. Be sure you are restoring a
boat that will reward your efforts in the best measure possible.

2. Look for Dan Danenberg book on runabout restauration. I don't
believe everything he says but it's a great start.

I agree on those two points but would add one other:

3. Consider building one yourself from scratch. There are designs for
wooden runabouts which are attractive and designed for the home
carpenter. Glen-L ( www,glenl.com) has four or five different models of
the type you are speaking of that have been built many, many times by
guys in their garage. They have full materials lists and packages for
fasteners, coverings and hardware so you could figure within 10% or so
what it might cost for you to build. You could follow the instructions
step by step until it is finished. Restoring something means that, for
the most part, you have to 'write your own instructions' as it were in
order to get it done.

So, if it would take a real Chris-Craft to make you happy, go for it.
Plug away at it and eventually you will get it done. However, if I were
doing it, based on other boat projects i've done and helped on, I'd
start from scratch and go from keel to deck with new materials and a
design that other guys like me managed to get finished.

Jeff