Sal's Dad

Wow! What a thread!

What could have been done differently? Among the (understandably) heated
rhetoric, there has been some remarkably good advice, especially from Dave
Van (along with one small request - for polite language).

To build on DV's response:
-Knowledge of the potential dangers of the waterway: New York Harbor
requires advanced boating and paddling skills in the best of circumstances.
It is primarily a commercial waterway, with 24 hour operation of large
vessels. Small craft are the exception, not the norm -- they simply don't
expect to see you there, like a tricycle on the LIE -- though this has
changed a bit since I paddled there. Night-time paddling is inadvisable
even for experts. Talk to one of the experts in manually-propelled boats
there; join one of the community boating groups. (I can provide contacts,
if anybody is serious.)

-Develop relevant skills before putting yourself in such a situation.
Paddle only with a more experienced buddy. Beginners (less than, say, 100
hours on the water) should paddle alone only in ideal conditions, never at
night.

-Be aware of the risks and advantages of paddling in different parts of the
waterways. There are no 'lanes', and in my (not very current) experience,
the East River can be very difficult near-shore. In the shallows, you risk
breaking waves and obstructions, and near bulkheads and other vertical
surfaces reflecting waves are a real hazard. I think I would take my
chances with collision, further from shore, rather than hug the edges.

-Better (brighter) nav lights. Not required in a kayak, but a good idea.

-A backup flashlight that you could raise and shine directly at the
oncoming boat or a head mounted directional light. Lights on a boat are NOT
to help you see others, but to assure they see you. Consider carrying a
really bright spotlight, that will get a helmsman's attention. As noted by
many others, it is your responsibility to be seen. Even if the helmsman of
a commercial/official vessel is held at fault for a collision, it will be
too late for you. (If a Police boat had spotlights, they were for S&R and
other police work, not 'headlights'.)

-Reflective tape on your boat and/or vest. I don't like the idea of
"visibility flags" on principle, but if it keeps you from being run down in
daylight...

-An air horn or a loud whistle. Required, I believe.

-Aerial flares, ready for use. ( Probably illegal for use for collision
avoidance, but I'll cheerfully pay the fine ;-)

-A water craft appropriate for the conditions in which you were paddling
(potential for large boat wake). More importantly, develop the skills
required to handle the boat you are in, before entering a risky situation.

-Carry, learn to use, and monitor a VHF radio.
There's still probably more. But one issue I didn't see addressed - a
vessel is responsible for damage or injuries caused by its wake. A
principle which seems rarely to be applied.

Well, I finally took that Sea Eagle PaddleSki 435 out for a paddle!
I'm a noob with only six paddles to my credit, including the initial
instructional one, but I felt comfortable enough today to try out this
inflatable catamaran-kayak hybrid...and all on my own!

Yes, safety rule violation number one -- newbie alone on water. We'll
get to that in a bit, but for now I'd like to just chat about the
PaddleSki.

snip
A simple boat, really, for quick and easy pick-up-and-go recreation. I
think it's perfect for fla****er, but it handled the East River very
nicely for me today!