John Gaquin

Default Drunk drivers was: OT Bush hatred

..... first offense for drunk driving is
automatic suspension and removal of the driver's license for a period
of one year and restricted priviledges for 5 years after reenstatement
(only drive from home to work for example) - no exceptions.

I've always felt that in areas of public safety, strict enforcement of
simple laws was much preferable to lengthy debate over complex laws. The
fact is that such things work as deterrents.

I recall working in Norway in the mid 70s. Smaller town about 100 miles
from Oslo. Went to a club/bar a few days after arrival with a co-worker,
and at closing (about 1AM, I think) the whole bar was walking home! I asked
my friend about this, and he stated unequivocally that the penalties for DUI
were so prompt and severe that no one would risk it. He was quite surprised
that I asked!!

JG