trainfan1 wrote:
wrote:
I'm very new to boat motors. I've got a 1973 Johnson 135 Outboard on a
old Caravelle. I recently rebuilt the transom and floor, but when I put
the motor back on and ran the boat the lower unit leaked and stripped
the lower unit gears.

I'm looking to buy a used one. Does an ESL model have a longer shaft
than normal?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jason

ES= Electric Start
L = 20" Shaft

Your outboard has the "PowerShift II" lower unit - a replacement with a
similar 85-90-115-135-140 unit up to about 1977-1978 should be possible
- keep in mind that the 135/140 has a different gear ratio than the others.

Rob

On a slightly different note. What kind of expertise does take to
rebuild? I recently found a service manual and found out that my shaft
is an extra long shaft and is 26 13/32 in. Also, it has the lower unit
disassembly and assembly. I'm not sure if mine has a hydro-mechanical
or mechanical shift assembly. Is there any way to tell?

On a scale from 1-10 how difficult is doing all of this myself?
On a scale from 1-10 how difficult is doing all of this with a
helicopter mechanic helping me?

Thanks, Jason