William R. Watt

Brush on chlorine bleach to kill any mould in the wood before refinishing.
The bleach will also bleach out some of the stain but that's only
for appearances.

" ) writes:
I have a foldable kayak with a interior wood frame. Having left water
in the boat for too long, a number of pieces have what looks like
mildew stain and some minor rotting. The integrity of the pieces are
fine and I am not concerned with the aesthetics. I would like to
refinish the pieces with spar varnish but I am wondering if I need to
get the mildew stains out and how to do that. A light sanding smooths
out the pot marks but doesn't get the stains out. Any suggestions??

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm