Jack

Great information. I knew a boat restore was an insane job.
Instead of a boat, the wife is going to get a 69 camaro. Now there is
something that I can do.
Thanks to all for your time.

"Matt Colie" wrote in message
Oh Jack,

First things first: What size and age? In the 50's a Riviera was an
18-20' open runabout but in the 60's CC put that same name on 30+' cabin
cruisers - let's assume you mean the former.

Then (as you know) there are different flavor carpenters - and that is
just before you get your feet wet. A being a boat builder is sort of like
being a an instrument special cabinet maker like the kind that builds
grand pianos from scratch. I hope you are a better than "decent"
carpenter by current trade standards.

Next trick, find one at all - let alone a good candidate for a
restoration. These were monagany boats, and if poor cared for they can be
salvage proof pretty fast.

Read everything you can find about wooden boats (find a friend that has an
old collection of Wooden Boat Magazine) and start studying.

The hull is all that counts. When(if) you find one, get ready to go after
it with an icepick or a good pointed pocket knife. Any wood you can stick
the tool into will have to be dealt with (either sistered or replaced).
Do not be bashful, the sellers usually think that all it will take is
rolling (no joke) another coat of varish on it to be good to go.

If the boat is not complete, be wary, people do not take fittings off good
boats, and they can be impossible to replace.

Don't fret the engine. These were old flat head marine engines and if it
needs more than the carburetor cleaned, take it out (save it) and put in
something new so you can enjoy the boat.

I have seen projects like this numerous times. Even one done by a
librarian that was sent to me by a mutual friend because he did not know
about how to select and use a plane (then - he does now). He was on his
third the last time we talked (boat - not plane).

Expect it to take a year if the boat looks perfect.

Did this answer your questions? If not - try again. I will be gone for a
week, but I am here alot.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Jack wrote:
Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris
Craft Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it.
She thinks that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I
could restore a boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration
a shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is
tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.