John Schultz

[This followup was posted to rec.boats.building and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:19:13 GMT, Paul Oman
wrote:

I recently purchased a very expensive paint brush (hoping it would paint
the boat for me!)

Anyway, I realized I don't really know how to clean a paint brush....

I dip it in solvent a few times and use a 'brush spinner' - but don't
really know if I am doing it right. No big deal with cheap brushes, but
the $ ones need to last a while.

I have found that the best way to clean oil paint brushes is a lot of
small (2 - 3 oz.) rinses with solvent. Pour off the solvent into a
holding jar after each rinse. Use a brush comb with metal teeth to work
paint solids out of the heel of the brush when rinsing. Repeat as
necessary until the solvent rinses out clear. Spin dry. Use a brush
conditioner to keep the bristles in good shape. Put in its cardboard
keeper to protect the bristles.