James Hill

Default Wiped Out by NYPD Harbor Patrol! (Sea Eagle Paddleski Review)

I live in central Ohio, and spend much of my time on reservoirs populated by
power boats, sail boats, and jet-skis. The bottom line for a kayaker is
that YOU have to take responsibility for yourself. When boating at night, I
have red-green bow lights (forward and sides), white stern lights, a
headlamp, and reflective striping and piping EVERYWHERE I CAN PUT IT. I
want to be lit up like a Christmas tree!! My experience from talking to
power boaters on occasion is that the reflective striping is the best thing
I have. I have it on my PFD, my hat, my paddle, and on both boats' sides
and back. The lights you mentioned the police boat having could not
POSSIBLY have missed me!

An 8 foot wave is nothing for either of my kayaks, a Perception America
("recreation boat") and a Current Designs Caribou S (a serious sea kayak),
if ***I*** am capable and prepared to deal with it FROM ANY QUARTER. I
approach kayaking much like I did motorcycling when I was younger --- hit
ANYTHING and I lose. In addition to being lit up at night, I keep a
constant look out for "rogue" powerboats, and stay PREPARED for anything
they can do.

Please understand that I do sympathize with you for your injuries, but it
does not sound (from all the discussion I've read) like you were either
aware of boating regulations for your area or well-enough prepared for any
contingency that could be expected as a boater. I doubt that you have much
redress, and can only hope that you learn from the experience.

Best wishes,

Jim Hill