Ian Malcolm

joeb wrote:
The top of the keel is definitely not sealed. When I put the hole in
the bottom of the keel, I took on about 4 inches of water in the cabin
before making it back to shore.

Well I'd be glassing an extra layer on the bottom, washing with water
first to remove any amine blush, drying then wiping down with methylated
spirits or acetone to get the last of the water off, then filing back
the previous patch and the paint around it with a coarse wood rasp to
get a clean keyed surface, then brushing all the dust off, solvent
wiping it twice, celulose thinners then acetone then glassing it with 2
layers of cloth, wetted out on a polythene sheet on the bench using
epoxy thickened with collodial silica till it will hold a peak like
merange mix applied onto more of the thickened epoxy, smooth out any
bubbles and the polythene sheet should be held on till it sets with duct
tape. Then I could sleep at night if she's kept afloat for the rest of
the season. It would STILL want grinding back properly in the winter.

At the moment all that is keeping the water out is epoxy on top of paint
*WHICH IS DESIGNED* TO SLOWLY COME OFF UNDERWATER. :-(

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.