Me wrote:
In article . com,
"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Howdy, y'all

As most of you know, we're in an extensive refit. We're finally to the
point of addressing the stern of the boat. Most of you know we added
an arch, on which we've put wind and solar, satellite, gps and vhf
antennas, davits, and other goodie-hangers.

Our prior HF antenna location was about midway on the starboard stern
side, attached by a standoff to the stern rail, 24" up. Tuner is very
close to that location, being mounted on the side of the propane
locker.

As it turns out, my solar module frame is 1" tube and is in such a
position as to allow the standoff from my whip to attach to it (much
more support, of course, being 8' in the air, rather than 2' up, like
the rail was before). However, to make that work, I'd have to put the
whip centerline, or very close to it. The base would be right next to
the chain plate for the aft stay.

The way I've got the aft entry, now, it's not a problem to do that in
convenience and use terms. The question is, given that it's marginally
closer (don't know that I'd change the end of the cable) to the tuner,
is that a good placement? There's no parallel metal anywhere nearby;
the closest angle is the back stay, going forward, and, 4'+ away, the
arch itself. Everything else is right angles.

So, is that a good location for the whip? I'd expected to have to put
it very close to the side of the boat in order to keep it out of the
way. That would put it close to the arch itself, and some impediment
to access to some stuff on that side.

Thanks for any informed opinions :{))

L8R

MF/HF Marine Antennas should ALWAYS follow these simple rules:

1. Higher and longer, is better than lower and shorter.....
2. Autotuners were invented to replace Compitant Radiomen, with
just about every other "Dufus" who thought that he could install
a SSB Radio by himself, and save himself a pile of money.....
3. It doesn't matter how big, or long, your antenna is, if
your RF Ground is totally crap........
4. If you have a GOOD RF Ground, a "Wet Noodle" will radiate better
then the "Best Antenna" with a poor RF Ground.....
5. It is the RF Ground, Sonny, the RF Ground......

Me one who has been around the docks for 40 years......