Keenan & Julie

in article , NYC XYZ at
wrote on 7/28/05 10:31 AM:

Keenan & Julie wrote:

There would be exceptions (there are some places a paddler is not supposed
to be at all) but my answer to your question would be, generally, that the
shorline would normally be a good place to be to avoid getting run over by a
powerboat.

And what are the actual laws and regs, if any?

Why don't you look them up?

I'm really curious,
because if one can't even be safe where one's supposed to be safe,
what's the point?

I would assume for the same type of reasons a police car might speed along a
road.

Wouldn't they have sirens and horns flashing? Wouldn't they go along
the middle of the river where "sailing" is best?

I don't know why they were there.

Unless you are suggesting they deliberately tried to kill you, it's rather
irrelevant, because they didn't see you.

It's not irrelevant if the conversation's turning on whether I have
done what I can to make myself be seen -- have THEY done what they can
to see, like, open their eyes?

Unless you think they deliberately tried not to see you, it is irrelevant.
They didn't see you.

There's no evidence the river is more dangerous. That is not to say that you
were not in danger.

Um, despite all the car accidents, random shootings, roller-bladers,
loose dogs, and drunk investment bankers, NYC streets are still more
predictable than NYC rivers, as my case attests!

Predictable is not the same as safer. Your case only attests to the fact
that there was one incident where you browned your shorts.

Why, if I had reported that I crossed the street on my green and a
police vehicle not flashing sirens swiped me onto the curb, would folks
still be asking me what was I doing crossing the street?

They might. You seem to have an irritating quality.

Seriously, I want to know -- what is the point of their halogen lights
if the onus is on me to be seen? What is the point of my sticking to
the shoreline if they're still at liberty to charge up it in the dark?

I think you should take this to future president Hillary Clinton, that's in
her jurisdiction, isn't it?