NYC XYZ

Keenan & Julie wrote:

Very sorry to hear of your injuries, but isn't the main issue here that you
were paddling at night in an unsafe area for paddling at night? Maybe? It
sounds like you were lucky not to be killed!

Many thanks for your sympathies, and yes, as I'd originally stated,
it's actually the rocks which may have saved me from being plunged
deeply into water.

But what's an area unsafe for paddling at night? AFAIK, the East River
isn't considered so, at least not "naturally" speaking. There was very
little traffic, too -- in another post I'd detailed five motorcraft in
roughly four hours of paddling.

And I'm still puzzled that no one can answer these three fairly obvious
and basic questions:

Where is a paddler supposed to be if not along the shoreline?

Why allow police motorcraft to speed up along the shoreline in
darkness?

What good are those giant halogen lights on the police boat, then???

I understand I can avoid all this by just staying home. But then
that's not exactly an answer to these questions. Why should the rivers
be more dangerous than NYC streets?? Think about it.