Lynn Coffelt

I always coveted an Aircraft Endorsement, but after I got the Radar
Endorsement, work and feeding four hungry mouths sort of saturated all

the
time that existed.
Northern was always King, I guess, I admired the company, and even

did
a couple of quick contract jobs for them.
When I needed another load of Morad antennas, I was too cheap to

have
them delivered, so Morad would put them under Northern's dumpsters at

close
of day, and I'd drive down after work and pick them up. What impressed

me
more than anything was that they had "business" hours. A concept

completely
foreign to Anacortes.
Lynn, W7LTQ

Yep, I worked for Dennis, and Chuck (the Yellow page salesman) for a few
years after they bought out Northern Marine Electronics, from Northen
Radio as the Service Department. Smoke O'kelly was still at NME, when I
left but Lou Navarre had already gone by then.Had a very good
relationship with Eddie Zanbergen over at Morad as well, before he died.
Still use Morad stuff alot up here. Very good stuff for band weather.
Ahhhhh, "the Good Old Days"......

Bruce in alaska

Gosh, you remember lots of things that have evaporated here! The names
are familiar, but not the faces. Mostly telephone contact when I was in
trouble, I guess.
Thanks for the smidgen of history about Northern. I always suspected
there was some sort of connection between Northern Radio and Northern Marine
Electronics, but have never had it explained.
Might be a different guy, but there was a "Lou" (old timer) that worked
for Nordic Marine Electronics, Seattle service shop in the late 1970's that
gave me my entire formal education on Decca Radars. By Telephone (and a
couple of times by HF SSB) He really didn't like to talk too much about the
050, which infested our waters, but he enjoyed exposing my stupidity on the
110. A really, really great radar............ or?
Dan Asplund, Chuck Johnson or Jim Manwaring had to be consulted on the
"Group 9", but with the Washington State Ferries contract continually in
jeprody here in Anacortes, they always had me supplied with a spare T/R unit
and at times a display..... (always a CRT for times when a half-hour
disassembly and windex didn't get the cigarette smoke "fog" cleared up)
Lynn, W7LTQ