Lynn Coffelt

.. Speaking of Aircraft endorsement, I watched an old John Wayne movie
"Island
in the Sky" last week on TV (an Ernie Gahn book). The radio op was

running
what appeared to be a BC348 receiver, and an ART-13 transmitter with a

bug.
It was in a WWII C-47 (DC-3) plane.
Did Northern ever make military receivers? I remember a Northern Electric

or
Northern Radio version of the Hammurlund SP-600 that I worked on back in

the
late 60s. I thought it was a Canadian firm that made them under a NATO
contract. However, one Navy guy from the pacific NW said they were made in
Seattle.
Speaking of business hours...I remember a coax distributor in Portland who
would hide rolls of coax under his shipping dock so they could be picked

up
in the early AM on the way to work at the old Portland Radio Supply. You
don't get that kind of deal anymore.

I really don't know about Northern and military receivers, but years
(and years) before I got a commercial ticket, I helped a tech install and
tune surplus military gear converted to commercial marine by Northern. The
biggest one that I recall, was a converted (to crystal control) BC-375. That
rig, in the military, was companion to the BC-348 receiver, and I have seen
pictures (I'm not quite that old) of the BC-375/BC-348 installation in B-24
and B-17 bombers. Art Collin's ART-13 replaced the BC-375 about as fast as
Collins Radio could turn them out.
A new surplus (converted to 115vac) BC-348Q, by Wells-Gardner was my
first ham receiver for the first ten years.
Lynn, W7LTQ