Doug

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Bruce in alaska one of the few with an Aircraft Endosement on
his ticket.......

I always coveted an Aircraft Endorsement, but after I got the Radar
Endorsement, work and feeding four hungry mouths sort of saturated all the
time that existed.
Northern was always King, I guess, I admired the company, and even

did
a couple of quick contract jobs for them.
When I needed another load of Morad antennas, I was too cheap to have
them delivered, so Morad would put them under Northern's dumpsters at

close
of day, and I'd drive down after work and pick them up. What impressed me
more than anything was that they had "business" hours. A concept

completely
foreign to Anacortes.
Lynn, W7LTQ

Speaking of Aircraft endorsement, I watched an old John Wayne movie "Island
in the Sky" last week on TV (an Ernie Gahn book). The radio op was running
what appeared to be a BC348 receiver, and an ART-13 transmitter with a bug.
It was in a WWII C-47 (DC-3) plane.
Did Northern ever make military receivers? I remember a Northern Electric or
Northern Radio version of the Hammurlund SP-600 that I worked on back in the
late 60s. I thought it was a Canadian firm that made them under a NATO
contract. However, one Navy guy from the pacific NW said they were made in
Seattle.
Speaking of business hours...I remember a coax distributor in Portland who
would hide rolls of coax under his shipping dock so they could be picked up
in the early AM on the way to work at the old Portland Radio Supply. You
don't get that kind of deal anymore.

73
Doug K7ABX