Thom Stewart

Scotty,

As long as everyone else is guessing I'll join in

Head Sail Furling and head sail reefing; The difference being the
ability to reduce Sail Area without a full Furl. That is head sail
reefing. Usually requirers a special cut Jib. This is head Sail reefing

Head Sail Furling would be the head sail fully out or fully furled and
stored. They can take any Standard Cut Sail but if you wanted to fly a
smaller jib you'd need to remove the large sail and set the new sail.
The advantage being a proper sail in both cases.
Disadvantage being many. Storing extra sails, Replacement cost of
multi number of sails but the main disadvantage would be the sail
handling of more than one sail at a time on the pointy end of the boat.
If you can do without a head sail (Furl on the stay) it is fine. I use
my 170 this way quite often.

Hope this helps

Ole thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage