DSK

... I'm planning on putting in a wireless remote for our
windlass, but that'a 'someday' project.

Peter Wiley wrote:
I'm planning on fitting a hydraulic winch and save myself a lot of
grief with electrics

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks... Having made some of my living
repairing & maintaining military & industrial hydraulic systems for the
past 20+ years, I think much more of electrically powered systems than
hydraulics.

I have 2 or 3 hydraulic pot haulers about the place already and the
components aren't all that expensive in the scheme of things. Hydraulic
pump run via 12V electric clutch off the main engine.

For a windlass it's not such a bad thing, you'll most likely be using it
only when the engines already running. For other applications, it's a PITA.

Not for everyone but I have the tools to do it right. Can have remotes
at the wheel then.

A solenoid (that pesky electricity again) or running pilot tubes to a
control valve?

.... Fitting a wireless remote seems like something
guaranteed to go wrong.

Hydraulics are IMHO not only guaranteed to go wrong, but to make an oily
mess most of the time. But you're right that it would be a bit less
expensive for the same power.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King