Carolyn Louise leigh

Default Ice Sailing

I started out with a pair of Hockey skates and an umbrella...........WOW!
Ice Boats use to be real popular in the Great Lakes years ago. My dad built
one in the fifties using, 2x4'sand some old ice kates. We'd literally fly
on that thing. Control and stopping are the big issues.
"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

"QLW" wrote in message
Where can I find info on ice sailing?
I just spent an hour searching the web for ice sailing sites and found a

few
but not really what I'm looking for. Finding the right site to sail and

the
right rig for a beginner is my main focus. Surely there are

associations
or
clubs out there that can set me straight.

I live in south Texas and I'd like to go to an area in the northeast

where
I could try this sport. I built a tube frame sand sailer of my own

design
many years ago using sailboard sails that works great on the beach and I
thought about just adding blades to it but I feel that a proven design

for
ice makes more sense. I've had mine over 60 mph on asphalt and I think

I'd
get in trouble with it on ice. Why re-invent the wheel?
Quinton

There are some links to ice boating sites at
http://www.wbycsail.org/links.html
by the st paul minnesota white bear (lake) yacht club

Also on the home page is a webcam showing why no one is sailing today.

del cecchi