Brian Whatcott

On 24 Jul 2005 04:55:46 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of thinking recently about building a sloop
with classic lines. It's not the first time this has crossed my mind
but the idea just will not remain dead.

I recently replaced the cockpit sole in my 'classic' soling and
upgraded the sail controls. Now the crew only moan about my driving
and not about putting their feet through the floor or the condition of
the sheets.

While working on the sole I did some investigations into having
plywood CNC milled. It's not that expensive! I also prefer engineered
wood to natural timber.

With this new found info my mind quickly raced into overdrive. In
theory it should be possible for me to design and build a carvel hull
from plywood without me having to do much more than glue and clamp, no
measuring no cutting, think lego not woodwork.

Here's the way I'm thinking.

Alignment. If two pieces of plywood are to be joined then an
accurate means of locating them needs to be done. I'm thinking the use
of dowels with the holes reamed on the CNC machine. Two dowels would
locate any join.

Scarfing. You can mill the 12:1 ratio into the plywood along with
the alingment holes for dowels. Epoxy the scarf insert the dowels and
clamp.

Keelsome, ribs, beams etc. These could all be made from laminates
pre milled on the CNC. Again epoxy, dowels and clamp.

Planks. Scarf joints as above. Rabits milled. Even the holes for
rib screws could be pre drilled/counter sunk on the CNC machine.

If all the majority of the time building a fair hull is spent in
the measuring cutting stages would not the above method produce a such
a hull in less time than other methods. Also it would be easily
repeatable.

I think I've given enough details for people to get the idea. Now
what is obviously wrong with this idea? Does anybody have existing
examples?

This method is apparently in use for plywood kayak kits, all
beautifully precut into numerous swaths for multi chine hulls.

So the problem is not practicallity I don't suppose - but rather
commercially worth while volume.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK