NYC XYZ

Brian Nystrom wrote:

While that's true, a good salesman will not simply bad-mouth the
competition. If there are known deficiencies in another brand, he may
choose to explain them; otherwise, he should simply say that they make
good boats but that don't carry them and show you something equivalent.

To be fair, this was a telephone conversation of about eight minutes,
and he did have a shop to run. Also, he didn't exactly "bad-mouth"
these Prijon models are much as dismiss them. Details to follow upon
forthcoming shop visit....

I would be highly skeptical of any dealer that bashes brands they don't
carry, but it could be just a case of an untrained salesperson.

Fellow sounded like these "nice guys" on NPR, if you know what I mean,
and sounded knowledgable enough to note something to the effect that
"just because Prijon has invented this anti-oil-caning process...."
(??)

Prijon make good quality boats, but that doesn't necessarily mean that
they make one that suits your needs. As a general rule, you're better
off to buy a boat that you can demo, rather than buying on reputation.

Well, I've mini-toured the Touryak for almost two hours during a
full-moon current and was happy enough.

I had never heard of FirstLight kayaks until you mentioned them.

Nineteen pounds! Clear urethene available, too! Unfortunately, you
need clear tropical paradise waters to take advantage of that.

They're
folding boats and nothing like Prijons. I suggest that you decide what
type of boat you want before you worry about specific brands. While a
dealer may be able to help you sort that out, you could also cause a lot
of frustration if you simply bounce back and forth between various ideas.

Indeed, that's why I like to troll usenet! =)

Actually, I do know what I want -- I want both a hardshell and a
foldable! The hardshell's for just dumping the thing in the Hudson and
getting on with it. The foldable's for being able to go anywhere and
launch from anywhere.

The Kodiak and Touryak are listed as good beginner's boats which can
also last one into the advanced stages (which I don't even really care
to attain). As I've actually paddled on mini-tours and taken
instruction in both, I feel comfortable buying these near-cheapest of
plastic hardshells with such solid reputations.