Skipper

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:03:07 -0400, Doin it right
wrote:

I want to install a windlass, but cabling it from my batteries with
large wires is a major job.

I am thinking of placing a dedicated battery up with the windlass and
running smaller wires from the main bank where the charger lives

I went through the same thoughts when i installed my big Maxwell
windlass. Talk to battery people and you will find that one battery
bank (with an isolated starting battery) is far better for your
batteries. You still need to run cables, whether they are #4 or #00.
It is just the expense of the cable. It is a one time expense.
Buy two 50' spools of 00 or 0 cable; one red and one black. Go a size
larger than you think. Find someone with a wholesale account. It is
much cheaper than retail when you buy it in 50' lengths. Get the
hammer-operated crimper and buy lug terminals in bulk, too. You will
have enough left over to replace any battery cables or sell to other
boaters as they need it.
Do not do the dedicated windlass battery. It is not a good choice. Of
course, it is your boat. (grin)
Whatever you decide, use high quality equipment. A windlass will last
a long, long time. This is a one-time expense and spending an extra
$200 to do it right is well worth the money.