Glenn Ashmore

That sounds a lot better than the BS response I received from Saxby
Chambliss and non response from Johnny Isakson. But Nelson is a Democrat.
Santorum is the third most powerful senator on the Republican side and it
seems that all the Republican senators are following their leadership like
sheep. To scared to object to even the most idiotic proposal.

While it is probable that 786 will not make it into law by itself, look for
it to be snuck in as an amendment to some other unrelated bill.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"krj" wrote in message
news
Received the following message from Senator Bill Nelson:

Keeping Hurricane Forecasts Free and Accessible
The National Weather Service (NWS) website got nine billion hits in the
six-week period last summer when Florida was repeatedly hit by hurricanes.
bill introduced into the Senate would prohibit federal meteorologists from
competing with companies who offer their own forecasts through paid
services
and ad-supported Web sites. If this bill becomes law, the NWS may have to
take
down websites like this one http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ that predicts
tropical
storms.

I talked with some NWS forecasters just before Dennis struck. They told me
about a private forecasting company based in Pennsylvania that had been
tracking Dennis, too. But that company predicted Dennis would go into New
Orleans or Mississippi, whereas the NWS tracked that storm to the area
between
Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach-exactly where it made landfall. If we did
not
have the NWS prediction available and had to rely on the other forecast,
the
people of the Gulf coast of Florida may have let down their guard, with
disastrous results.

The bill that threatens this service is slated to come before the Senate
Commerce Committee. I am a member of that committee, and I will continue
my
battle to make sure this excellent government service--that can mean the
difference between life and death--is preserved.

Please do not reply to this message. For additional information about Sen.
Nelson, visit his website at http://billnelson.senate.gov
"billnelson.senate.gov