Dave Hall

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:49:07 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1995 19 ft cuddy with an Alpha 1 outdrive and rack & pinion
steering (not power steering). In searching for a new prop the Mercury
prop selector recommended an Alpha 4 20 pitch (48-834854A45) so I
bought one. When I went to put it on it clearly had more depth than
the current Black Max 19 pitch and hit the little sacrificial anode
steering tab or skeg (?) that sticks down on the outdrive behind the
prop. My questions are (1) should this happen (meaning that prop
cannot be used on an Alpha 1 with the skeg) and (2) how important or
useful is this skeg for a non-power steering boat. My brother-in-law
and sister have a similar sized boat (bigger engine ) with the same
outdrive but with power steering and he does not have a skeg sticking
down, just a sacrificial anode disk where the skeg would be. Can I or
should I replace this skeg or just stick with 3 blade props with less
depth?

As another note, when I got the boat it pulled fairly strongly to the
left. By adjusting this skeg I got most of the pull out. If I leave it
on I think I can get the rest of the pull out by turning it a little
more left. If I take it off I have no idea what the effect on the
steering will be. I guess unless there is a concensus of opinion here
I could always take it off, run it and see what impact it has, but
hopefully there is a good answer to this problem and the good folks
here will provide it.

Thanks.

The Other Dave Hall

Why not just cut or grind a bit off the bottom of the anode tab? That may
be worth a try.

It doesn't just hit a "little" bit, it hits pretty solidly. Basically
the part that sticks down (like a little rudder) would have to go or a
least have 2/3rds or so of it cut out to allow clearance for this
prop.

The Other Dave Hall