Brian D

I think this is what I was remembering ...the bit about not mounting ON an
engine. I did a search of my ABYC and USCG regs and can't find a statement
that specifically states that the fuel tank cannot be in the same
compartment as the engine. I sit humbly corrected. My apologies.

Brian

"Brian Cleverly" wrote in message
Peggie Hall wrote:
I think everything you need to know about fuel tank and fuel system
installation is in Title 33 of the CFR:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr183_99.html

You may also want to spend some time plowing through Title 46...which
won't be easy. And then there are the CG regs...their site is almost
impossible to find anything on!

Interesting, Peggy...

Quoting from Title 33:

" Subpart J--Fuel Systems

Sec. 183.550 Fuel tanks: Installation.

(a) Each fuel tank must not be integral with any boat structure or
mounted on an engine."

Would this mean that a monel fuel tank glassed into a sailboat keel would
be illegal ?

Brian C